Family Planning Allowance (FPA)

We all know Government is promoting Small Family Norms in order to control population. As per the present norms a family consists of not more than Two children is said to be a small family.
As such Central Government Employees are entitled to certain concessions for maintaining small family norms. Government is also restricting certain Concessions, allowances, reimbursements etc., to Central Government Employees up to two children only. The concessions / Allowances / reimbursements such as Leave Travel Concession, Children Education Allowance, Child Care Leave etc would fall under this category.

Let us have a look at the Concessions / incentives applicable to Central Government Employees for undergoing Sterilization Operation in order to maintain small family norms.

(i) Family Planning Allowance varying from Rs.210 to Rs.1000 per month based on Grade Pay of employee

(ii) A rebate of 1/2% (0.5%) from the applicable interest on House Building Advance in the case of employee availing HBA.

General Conditions for grant of Family Planning Allowance and Rebate on HBA:

1. Having one surviving Child prior to undergoing Family planning procedure (Sterilization Operation) is a must to avail concessions.

2. As far as the condition based on age of the employee is concerned, the following table gives necessary details.

Gender of Employee Age of Employee and Spouse
Male Employees His Age should be 50 years or less than 50 years. The Age of Employee’s Wife should be between 20 and 45 years
Female Employees Her Age should be 45 years or less than 45 years. The Age of Employee’s husband should be 50 years or less than 50 years

2. Similarly, prior to family planning procedure the employee should not have more than two children.

3. When Family planning procedure is not successful viz., Government Employee / spouse is getting pregnant due to failure of Sterilization operation, the government employee will not be entitled to any incentive from the date of pregnancy.

4. A Certificate in the prescribed form is to be given by the hospital authorities which is performing family planning procedure (sterilization operation) to the effect that Family Planning procedure was completed in respect of the employee or his / her spouse.

5. In the case of Family Planning procedure done by a private hospital, a civil surgeon or DMO or AMA or a Medical Officer of CGHS should counter sign the form signed and certified by the private hospital to the effect that Family Planning procedure was completed in respect of the employee or his / her spouse.

Relaxation of certain Conditions for grant of FPA and Rebate on HBA: 

1. Either the government employee or his / her spouse can undergo Sterilization operation in order to maintain small family norms.

2. In the case of birth of twin children after giving birth to one surviving Child, all concessions under Small Family Norms granted to employee would be allowed if the said employee / spouse is undergoing for sterilization operation, since giving birth to twin babies in the second birth is beyond the control of the employee to maintain small family norms

 3. Normally, recovery of concessions availed would be ordered in the case of failure of Sterilization operation. However, concessions under small family norms will be provided again when employee / spouse is undergoing family planning procedure again subject to fulfillment of conditions under small family norms.

 4. In respect of rebate on HBA, Government allows such rebate even when an employee is undergoing Family planning procedure (sterilization operation) after receipt of first installment of HBA but before receipt of final installment of HBA.






Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *